University of Rhode Island, University Libraries, Public Services Department
Library Instruction for Off-Campus Groups
Outside groups such as middle school, high school, and community groups are welcome to schedule library instruction at the Carothers Library during the following time frames:
· November and December for the fall semester
· Intersession periods and spring break
· April and May for the spring semester
For all outside groups
To plan a library instruction session for your group:
1. Two to three weeks prior to your desired visit contact the appropriate librarian.
For WRT library instruction contact Professor Jim Kinnie firstname.lastname@example.org or call him at 874-9240.
For all other library instruction review our list of subject selector liaisons or contact the Head of Instructional Services, Professor Mary MacDonald email@example.com or the Chair of Public Services, Professor Deborah Mongeau firstname.lastname@example.org
2. There are two library instruction labs and each can accommodate up to 30 students. Availability of the library labs varies depending on our other instruction commitments.
3. There is no drive up access or parking at the library. Limited handicapped parking is available near the library building.
4. Groups of twenty (20) or more who may arrive via bus may contact URI Parking Services 874-9281 to request a parking pass that will be emailed to the group for the bus. Buses may park in the Fine Arts Parking Lot. Consult the Campus Parking Map found at the Parking Services web site: http://www.uri.edu/parking/
5. Groups who use individual vehicles to travel to URI will need to stop at the Visitors Center on Upper College Rd to get a Visitor Parking Permit and to get directions to visitor parking. http://www.uri.edu/parking/visitorparking.html
6. Please be realistic in planning your arrival time considering for travel, signing in at the Visitors Center, parking, and walking to the library. If groups are delayed in arriving to the library it may require rescheduling the instruction session depending on staff schedules and library lab availability.
For WRT High School Instruction, classes will follow the standard WRT learning goals and outcomes:
· Students will learn how to retrieve citations from credible articles published in journals and magazines.
· Students will learn how to access those articles from URI Library.
High school WRT students must complete the WRT pre-activity and must have defined topics before they come to us for library instruction.
High school instructors must provide the URI librarian with a copy of the assignment and the list of student topics one week prior to the groups’ arrival.
URI Libraries will provide access to the URI Libraries’ article databases via the Coordinator for Early Credit High School Program. This access does not include any other URI University Libraries privileges and will expire January 31 for the Fall term and June 30 for the Spring term.
Approved Spring 2012, URI University Libraries, Public Services Department
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.